Monday 19 November 2012

RODARTE

Rodarte Fashion House had been know to draw on natural/tribal themes to inspire their collections, with examples from their Spring/Summer 2010 collection. Inspired by Death Valley and the tattered, winged scavengers that live there, the clothes expressed a sort of burnt out, singed look with minimal colour except for some reds and greens.  


However it wasn't the clothes that really drew me to this runway, but the models and their body decoration. MAC's Senior Artist Chantel Miller was the brains behind these beautiful arm and neck designs, saying that it was the Maori tribe who had influenced her the most. Miller says, "The idea for the tattoos stemmed from the designers desire to celebrate make-up as art not only for the face, but also for the body in a similar was that Indian culture uses henna. They want women to look at make-up as an accessory for an outfit the way you would a bracelet or a necklace."

Here I have had my own go at creating so designs:

1. 2. 

3. 4.  

I think my favourite is design no. 4 because the patterning looks very organic. I decided to experiment with geometrical design on deign no. 2 but felt like this was too rigid an image to translate to skin. If I am to re-create tattoos such as these, I think I will steer away from anything similar to number 3, mainly because I feel like this look is far too similar to many tribal tattoos you see in today's western culture which now bring about a different and very non-tribal association. I like the simplicity or design 1, although it does remind me a little bit of Pocahontas! All these designs are my own and have been done freehand.

References:
http://www.fashionologie.com/Rodarte-Inspired-Death-Valley-Vultures-Go-Goth-Tribal-Warrior-Spring-2010-5009728?page=0,0,0#35
http://www.primafashionista.com/2011/02/blonde-like-basinger.html

No comments:

Post a Comment