Sunday 11 November 2012

NATURAL FASHION

Natural Fashion - Tribal Decoration from Africa is a book I bought last year after coming across some images online. Although it wasn't relevant to anything I was studying at the time I ordered it on the spot, excited by the imagery I had seen. It is a collection of photographs taken by photographer Hans Silvester  and ties in beautifully to my latest project Wild Kingdom so I have decided to draw some inspiration from his work. Here are some examples of his work:




I love the use of natural decoration that is present throughout the images, with the Surma and Mursi tribes plucking their accessories straight from the abundance of vegetation that surrounds them. Every exotic flower, seed pod, banana leaf or piece of animal bone is a potential accessory. This paired with their love of body paint, piercings and in some cases, scarification, opens up the possibilities of an infinite wardrobe and bold visuals.

Below are some very quick, continuous line drawings that I have done using a fine liner. By using continuous line I get a very loose natural feel for the kind of shapes that occur within Silvester's photograps.




In these drawings I have used the continuous line to show the texture and markings of their face paint. I really like the idea of this fluid line translated onto the face as a make-up look so this is something I think i will be looking into a little further.

Here is another image of mine created using inks, chalk and fine liner of a boy wearing a head piece made from reeds and blossoms.


For this drawing I really decided to focus on the natural colour pallet that came through in the photographs.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful drawings and illustrations....you need to apply this method of working to creating your own make-up and hair designs. This needs further indication of your design development as well as the images you have found inspirational.

    ReplyDelete