Sunday 11 November 2012

Re-Creating Tattoos

After looking into the history of them I was very keen to have my own go at re-creating a realistic looking tattoo. I have gone for a very modern style of tattoo and one that you see often today: Portraiture. With the use of modern precise tattooing equipment and brightly coloured inks, these are the kind or results you can end up with:


How to:


  1. Firstly I prepared my model's skin using a cleanser making sure there was no grease or oil.
  2. Next I selected my chosen image from a magazine, making sure the paper wasn't highly shiny as this doesn't work best for this method. A print out of an image you found on your computer could also be used.
  3. I placed my image face down onto the chosen area of my model. I chose her arm.
  4. Holding the image securely, or fixing with masking tape if you wish, I applied nail varnish remover (MUST contain Acetone) to the back of the image using a cotton wool pad. This should encourage the image on the paper to transfer to the skin. I found it was best to apply plenty of the nail varnish remover in circular motions and firmly. 
  5. Now that you have your template you can work over the top using make-up or face paint. For this look I used Kryolan SUPRA COLOR Make-up Palette, and oil based face paint. This worked really well as it's easy to blend the colours. To fix, simply spray with hairspray :)


After the template had been transferred..

 

The finished look!

References:
http://www.ratemyink.com/?action=ssp&pid=81008
http://www.infamoustattoocompany.com/tattoos/Shane_ONeill/tattoos_35382.html
http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/portrait-tattoo?before=1349973975

1 comment:

  1. Great application of creative image transfer. However you need to consider how you wish to use this method to represent your ideas for Wild Kingdom. What images would you choose for example?

    ReplyDelete