Monday 8 October 2012

Tongue Tied

I am excited to explore the exotic ways in which the tribes of this planet choose to decorate themselves. From my first lecture on this topic, there was one image in particular that stood out to me. This was of an African woman decorated in brightly coloured beads with a dyed blue tongue. This image was editorial but it made want to research further the ways in which some tribes may have used this body part to relate meaning.

Here is an image of a tribesman from Papua New Guine. Note how the Tongue is a vivid red, in stark comparison to the already dark skin now painted black.  This is a good example of how tribes use bold colour and contrast to instil fear amongst potential enemies. The dyes used would all be natural.

I think adding a dash of colour in this way could really add to my final look. It's a hint, a suggestion of something, something internal that can only be seen if the wearer decided to show you. It's shocking and unexpected.

I have not been able to find many other visual examples of tongue tattooing or dying, although I do know that the Buddhist monks of Wat Bang Phra used spiritual tattoos used to enhance people's speech and interpretation skills. These were applied directly to the tongue using a needle and they have been doing this for centuries.
A modern interpretation of this look can be found in Vogues's editorial spread "Green Girls" in April 2011. Styled by Marie Chaix, it is clear there have been some tribal influences, for example the grass bodice worn by the model resembles something similar to the clothing seen to be made by Native Americans.
I think the unexpected and unexplained green tongue helps to add almost a bit of humour to the work, whilst also keeping it exciting. It also helps to tie the natural look together in such an unpredictable way. 


Another example I have found is in this stunning image by Herring & Herring for D Magazine:

I love how the tongue is a real focus in this image and with each of them being changed in colour, weather dye or post production was used, it adds a real sense of fun to the photograph and just goes to show how creative you can be with this theme.



If I were to achieve a similar look to this one I would have to explore various way in which to do so safely.. My best bet probably asking my model to suck a few ice lollies!
References:
http://static.flickr.com/78/225101541_438098d2a7.jpg
http://www.vanishingtattoo.com/tattoo_museum/thailand_tattoos.html
http://www.myfacehunter.com/2011/04/green-girls-vogue-paris-april-2011.html
http://bumbumbum.me/2009/11/18/tribal-by-herring-herring/

No comments:

Post a Comment